Wednesday, August 4, 2010

THE BEGINNING

I found out late, July that I was expecting! I was home alone and had just gotten a hair cut. Marty was out doing errands and just "because" I decided to take a pregnancy test. It is no secret that we had been trying for a LONG time to get pregnant, so I had a huge stash of pregnancy tests. I took them all the time, always hoping, and always being dissapointed. This day, I peed on the stick, like I had done a million times, and set the stick by the sink on it's wrapper so as not to get any pee dribbles on the counter. I glanced at it from my porcelain seat to see the familiar single line show up. I got up, pulled up my pants, washed my hands, and reached for the pee stick to toss it in the garbage, but WAIT!!!! I couldnt' believe it! 2 lines! 2 lines!!!! I had never seen the two lines before and I put my face right down close to inspect and make sure it was really, really true! The smile that spread across my face, was ginormous!!!!
I did have a moment of disbelief, a moment of panic though, thinking this was too good to be true. I called my sister, Aimee. She had a baby in March and had let me in on her secret early in her expecting time too. I squealed, "Aim, I have an emergency situation! I think I'm pregnant!!" She screamed with delight and assured me that you can have false negatives, but not false positives. Just to be sure, take another test though." I did, it confirmed, that yes, I was preggo!!!

I had been waiting my whole life for this moment, the moment when I learned I would be expecting. I had played it over and over in my head, what I would do, how I would feel and how I would tell Marty. I had come up with some clever, fun ways to surprise him and let him know that he had "done it." I had bought a little kid's hockey dad book and thought I would give it to him with a card, or buy a little tiny jersey and get "Wright" printed on the back, but when Marty got home, he took one look at me and the smile I couldn't keep hidden and he instantly knew!! He screamed, "your pregnant," while he scooped me off the stairs and twirled me around. Then he said, "I need a drink!"


No comments: