Tuesday, October 7, 2008

SHE'S GOT A NAME!!!!!!!!!!!





Tonight we've been able to have normal conversations, the kind that don't start with, "How about.....for a name?" It has been wonderful! Yep, that means we finally found a name that really seems to fit! Now that we've found the name, it seems ridiculous that it was sooo hard!

Not only did Andrea, Marty and I spend 6 hours brainstorming last night, but I had been all over the net, scoping out dog naming sites I had found and ones that had been sent to me by those who understood my name choosing agony. I even had a piece of chart paper taped to my classroom door with smelly markers for students to jot down thier ideas, damn, those kids have some super cute ideas! I drove home, after work thousands of names spinning through my head, none of them seeming quite right.

I walked in the door, was met at the top of the stairs by a four legged bundle of love and energy and a big kiss from Marty! I was about to pull the piece of chart paper out of my satchel when Marty casually says, "Hey, Hamilton (his buddy) had a good name idea....how about, Scout?" That was it, a smile spread across my face and I got that feeling, the one I knew I would feel when I heard the perfect name! I squealed, "I love it!" Marty also thought it was a pretty good name! Marty's buddy said he would have picked that name after a character in "To Kill a Mockingbird." We've never read that book, so that meaning is irrelavant to us. To mom, Scout was the name of the Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto's horse. Since that show was before our time, that meaning isn't why we thought Scout would fit. Marty was a "beaver" growing up, but he never made it to "Scout," so that isn't the reason it fits either, though I bet Marty would have been an adorable Beaver or Scout!!! The dictionary has the following definitions for Scout:


explore, often with the goal of finding something or somebody
someone who can find paths through unexplored territory

lookout: a person employed to keep watch for some anticipated event

Those definitions all point to a brave, adventurous soul and that is why it fits, plus, it is a damn cute name!!!!

Ofcorse I have posted the latest pics....aint SCOUT one cute puppy?

1 comment:

MaryM said...

Congratulations! and Scout is a great name... You can't be too impulsive, you know. hahahahaha
(I read the book "To Kill a Mockingbird" - still required reading in 9th grade here!)
I am just wondering at how many people I know have a dog as their first kid together. Ours was a cute beagle named "George".