Friday, July 16, 2010

SHIT TICKETS

So this tiny beach on the south east edge of Naxos Island is incredible! I wish I could write more and post pics, but because it is remote here the internet is painfully slow. I only wish to write a quick commentary on the sewer system here...it is ancient!!! The pipes are not wide enough for the toilet paper to be flushed. It is not this way only on Naxos, but in all of Greece. The expectation is that you will put your "shit tickets" as Marty calls them, into little garbage cans with lids placed near the toilet. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO REMEMBER THIS???? After 34 years of flushing my TP down the toilet, it has become an ingrained habit!! I sit down every time, repeating to myself, "paper in garbage, paper in garbage," but then my mind will wonder to the fly on the window sill, the wind howling, the fun in the sun I will have when I am done doing my "business" and before you know it, I am turning around to push the little flusher button eyeing with horror my TP swirling and struggling to fit down the drain! Ahhhhh! I keep expecting the whole toilet to plug and the WC (I am assuming this stands for water closet) to become flooded with sewage, evidence that I am culturally stupid!! So far though, I simply hang my head in shame while leaving the Water Closet, hoping that next time I will remember! Marty has told me to pull the garbage right over and put it between my legs while I pee, but I have to admit, even though I've done that a couple of times, habits run deep!!!!!
At least I don't have to worry that throwing the TP in a garbage will become a habit I'd have to break once back in Canada! Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

No comments: