Sunday, May 31, 2009

AN APPLE A DAY.....




I have started taking apples out of the garbage at school. Call me a garbage picker if you want, but there are often, whole apples tossed into the garbage cans every day and I am tired of watching them go to waste. I would rather pick through the goopy yogurt tubes, grease soaked saran wrap and orange peels to pick out a shiny apple, to feed to my horse, than to just leave it there rotting with the rest of the garbage! I pick them out, cut them up and feed them to Dirt Face! Scout and I have been going out to the farm to ride Dirt quit a bit lately and each time I take one of my "scavanged" apples as a treat for Dirt. Scout usually sits right under his mouth while he eats the apple hoping he'll spit pieces onto the ground so she can chase them around. I never notice whether or not she eats the apple pieces, I am too busy being disgusted, first by the fact that she wants something Dirt has already half chewed, and secondly by the fact that it is coated in dirt and manure! Today though, we learned that Scout, indeed, LOVES apples. We went hiking near Canmore today with Scout. We climbed up Lady Macdonald, all the way up to the old Tea House. It was pretty windy up there, so we hiked back down to a sunny spot protected by rocks, to enjoy our lunch. Marty and I settled into the grass and unpacked our snacks. I took a huge bite out of my red delicious apple. and Scout's ears perked up. She pushed her nose right up to my apple. For a minute I thought she was actually going to take a bite out of it! I broke off a piece for her, which she proceeded to gobble up! Up until this point the only human food Scout has had, and only because the vet said it was ok, has been, Peanut butter(which she loves) and carrots (she hates them, but always thinks she wants them.) Though, I grew up giving our farm dogs all kinds of table scraps, from leftover cereal bowl milk, to chicken bones, we dont' feed Scout scraps of any human food, mostly because I do not want to have to pick up the poop strange food causes her to have! Apples are a healthy, natural snack so I decided to share mine with Scout. By share, I mean, she ate half of mine and begged Marty for his! Aha! A new dog treat, one that, when it comes from a garbage can is FREEEE!!! Yipeee!I

1 comment:

MaryM said...

True confessions! I have discovered those apples at my school too!!!