Monday, January 24, 2011

100 DOLLAR SOCKS!

I bought a pair of one hundred dollar socks today. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as it will sound when I tell you that I also bought a one hundred and fifty dollar pair of socks. Are you keeping track? I spent 250 dollars on two pairs of socks today!! Don't worry my benefits will cover the cost. These are prescription compression socks. My doctor wanted me to have them for my flight to Quebec next week. I had to go to a "Home Health Supply" store to find them. I had no idea what the process of getting socks like these would involve. Apparently you are supposed to make an appointment to get "fitted" for the socks before just showing up. Lucky for me, the ladies working there were super nice, they took me into the "fitting room" on the spot.
They asked me to take off my own socks and pants so they could measure me, fit me for the compression socks. There was a sarong tossed over the back of a chair that they wanted me to put on after I had removed my pants, but neither one of them made any attempt to leave the room. I was a little embarrassed, as I had not counted on having to strip half my clothing off. How ironic that this morning, I made a mental note to throw these panties out after today as they had a large hole in the crotch....great!
I pulled the sarong around me and sat in the chair while one of the ladies measured my leg in three places. After confirming the measurements a couple of times, she pulled two boxes off the shelf. One pair of knee highs and one pair of thigh highs. It became clear that she was going to put these socks on for me. Interesting, I can't remember the last time I had someone put socks on for me, talk about awkward. My foot was up on her lap, sock in her hand and then, she pulled on the rubber gloves! At first I thought, "okay, I guess, if I had to touch people's feet all day, maybe I'd wear gloves too, but rubber gloves?" Upon closer examination, I realized these were not the dish washing kind of rubber gloves, but a special, "sock putting on" kind of rubber gloves. Carefully and with the technique of someone who has done this more than once, she pulled the sock up to my knee on my left leg and then using the same technique, with the thigh high, she pulled it up, all the way up my left leg.
The socks were snug, but comfortable. I decided that since my prescription was good for 2 pairs, I'd take one each of the knee high and thigh high pairs. I left the store with two pairs of socks, my own special rubber gloves and 250 dollars poorer (here's hoping Great West Life covers both pairs!)

4 comments:

Country Girl said...

Whoa! Mine were 30 Euros. lol

That's some special socks! Stinks you had to pay outta pocket and now wait for insurance.

heh - all I could think of as I read this story was how's the trim job? You shoulda asked. lol

Nicole said...

sometimes i don't even know what to say....usually because i am laughing too hard. thanks.

BobbieNoSocks said...

Whoa... that's got to be serious pair socks.

karen said...

I keep thinking about your leg on her lap and the hole in your panties..... a picture IS worth a thousand words. Thanks.